Re: knotting, knitting, weaving and traffic flow

Fascinating examples Olaf. The word in English is similar: "tetrahedron."

Short of "an animatable z-index property with values either large integers
or floats" which would pretty much give us 3D, I think maybe just a simple
binary: "above" or "below" allowing content to declare its intention to be
in one of two layers (maybe as subcommands of path) would give a fair amount
of expressiveness without having to carve out all of three D.

A knot when represented as a planar four regular graph is traversable by a
"forward walk." By that I mean: since it is planar the edges of each node
can be oriented and labeled in a clockwise fashion. Then as we walk from one
node to the next, always choose the forward path (instead of turning left or
right). The string (1234516375862748) contains each node twice and in the
context of each of its four neighbors along the specified Eulerian
trail/forward walk. For each node, we need then only to indicate which of
its occurrences is "above" and which is "under" ,  The it is just a matter
of figuring out coordinates for those nodes and arcs that join them
smoothly. If the rendering engine could simply follow the forward walk along
the arcs penning up and penning down the appropriate stroke-width and angle
from the intersections, wouldn't that do it?

cheers
David