Re: does <set> add an attribute to node.attributes

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com> wrote:

> So, if at t=3.5s you serialize the output of (2) you should be able to read
> that serialization in and see what you were looking at in the browser.
>
> If the attribute is created in the DOM from the SMIL animation that has
> run, the serialized output of (2) will represent what you see on the
> screen. So
> you can reload the serialized tree and it will lok the same. You can even
> edit
> the animation node out in a text editor and see the visual result that you
> were
> trying to save.
>
> If the attribute is not created in the DOM, the serialized output of the
> tree will _not_ represent what you see on the screen. Less than optimal
> IMO.
>
> I would consider Opera's behaviour a feature rather than assuming it's
> a bug.

In fact, in the given example Opera inserts a "stroke-dasharray" attribute
with an empty value, so this serialization use-case would not work in Opera.

I don't think there's any real utility to authors for requiring an empty
attribute to be inserted into the DOM for animations to run, and I strongly
object to the browser automatically inserting one, on the grounds that the
DOM belongs to the author and browsers shouldn't modify it just to make
implementation easier. I hope Erik confirms this is just a small Opera bug
:-).

Serializing the current state of the animation would be an interesting
feature, but I think the default should be that content round-trips intact.
For example an editor for animated images would NOT want this when saving an
animated image.

Rob