Re: Scheper's Catmull-Rom curves, and Spiro curves

Hi, Guys-

Dave Crossland wrote (on 7/15/10 11:50 AM):

> I am aware that the current grant does not meet the W3C Patent Policy
> criteria. Perhaps in the future it could.

Lest folks keep posting on this aspect of the thread, no amount of
discussion here will change either the W3C policy nor the legal status
of spiro. :)

The next course of action, if spiro is to be included in SVG, is for
Raph Levien to sign the W3C license grant.  I've contacted Raph
privately, and we are discussing the idea; he seems interested in
further discussion on the matter.  Stay tuned!

> On 14 July 2010 18:10, Alex Danilo<alex@abbra.com>  wrote:
>>  the logical place for the Spiro curves themselves
>>  is in the authoring tool.
>
> I believe the logical place for Spiro splines is in SVG directly
> because they would be very useful for animation, especially
> keysplines.
>
> Given Spiro's superior interpolation, I believe it would make an
> excellent addition to SVG2 for shape animation too.

And for fonts, eh? :)

If we decide that spiro is suitable for SVG, then I agree that it should
be in the language itself.  Authoring tools are always welcome to
provide UI representations to create visual shapes, but that doesn't
help for dynamic content.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs