Re: How does the svg element handle CSS border and background-color?

On Wednesday, August 18, 2010, 11:34:31 PM, Kevin wrote:

Jeff wrote:
JS>  Those properties are not applicable to SVG elements. See the
JS> list of CSS properties that can be applied to SVG elements here:
JS> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-SVG11-20100622/styling.html#SVGStylingProperties

KA>  That is what I thought.  However, the problem area is putting
KA> the svg tag inside an html5 document.  You can then apply
KA> background-color, borders, etc....

I believe you are mixing up "set on" and "apply to".

Properties can be *set* on any element:

body, p, svg, g, circle { border: thick solid green }

Whether that property *applies to* a given element is a different matter. For example, the properties which affect the CSS box model (like border, background, etc) don't apply to elements which are not rendered using a box model.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG