Re: How does the svg element handle CSS border and background-color?

Kevin,

Those properties are not applicable to SVG elements.  See the list of CSS
properties that can be applied to SVG elements here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-SVG11-20100622/styling.html#SVGStylingProperties

Regards,
Jeff Schiller