Re: XLink namespace prefix

On Monday, April 26, 2010, 11:09:02 AM, Johannes wrote:

JR> Hello,

JR> In tracing an issue yesterday why a specific SVG image won't
JR> render in some renderers I noticed that it used the namespace
JR> prefix “l:” for XLink instead of the more common “xlink:”. SVG
JR> being XML, this shouldn't be much of a problem, theoretically.

Correct

JR> However, the W3C validator complains about that too

A DTD-based validator is not namespace aware and will therefore treat namespace declarations as attributes.

The problem is with DTD technology, not your code.

JR> and several
JR> SVG renderers, including rsvg and IE 9 Preview won't render the
JR> image when the namespace uses a prefix different from “xlink:”.

Interesting report, particularly for IE9 (I was aware of rsvg).

JR> I didn't find anything in the specification that discourages or
JR> forbids the use of other namespace prefixes.

You won't.

JR> Is there anything on
JR> that? If the prefix doesn't *have* to be “xlink:”, then perhaps a
JR> test case for that behavior might be good to have, considering
JR> that several renderers have problems with that.

Yes. This is tested by struct-frag-05-t.svg
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/test/harness/htmlObject/struct-frag-05-t.html

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG