Re: Margins for filters?

Dirk Schulze wrote:
>> More fundamentally, the filter effects region is not MEANT to be a
>> general clipping facility, and is frankly a pretty poor substitute.
> Rob wrote a mail about the unclear description of clipping and filter
> effects in the Specs some time ago. On WebKit we interpret it the same
> way like for filterRegions. That means we use subRegions as clipping
> areas. IIRC batik and Opera do the same.

Emphasis was intended to be on "general (clipping facility)".

Put differently: as far as I can tell anything that can be done with a
filter effects region can also be done a different (often more generally
useful) way. Being able to ignore the option reduces complexity of
implementations (or keeps it more or less the same) and confusion. It is
not uncommon to get bug reports that boil down to some oddity caused by
having a filter effects region specified.

Now, completely removing the option at this point might be troublesome,
but we could try working towards that.

(And indeed, the filterRes property would be another candidate, although
I'd have less problems with simply ignoring it.)