Re: Minutes, 26 September 2009 SVG WG F2F - Day 1

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 5:25 AM, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

> It just provides a glyph that could be used for characters that are not
> covered. However, other fonts in the font-family list, or the generic font
> family, or a system fallback font, might have coverage. And even if they do
> not, the actual 'missing glyph' might be drawn from the svg font, or drawn
> from any other font n the list (commonly, the last one on the list).
>
> ROC>  I can't find anything in the spec to confirm this. If so, in what
> manner?
>
> Did you find anything which implies that SVG alters the font matching
> algorithm?

No. I observed that if the CSS matching algorithm is not altered, then
(assuming the user has local fonts with broad Unicode coverage) the
'missing-glyph' from an SVG font is very unlikely to ever be used, so the
feature has very little value. I also noticed that Opera uses the
missing-glyph when an SVG Font is specified in 'family-name', without
performing CSS font matching, so I thought perhaps I'd missed something in
the spec.

Also, Alex thought the use of 'missing-glyph' would prevent the confusion
over coordinate systems that I mentioned. But given CSS font matching will
be performed, it actually won't make any difference.

Rob
53:5-6]