Re: [Rendering Order] Some early feedback

Hi, Jeff-

Jeff Schiller wrote (on 10/26/09 12:34 PM):
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Doug Schepers<schepers@w3.org>  wrote:
>>
>>  This may solve the script case (though I'm afraid it might introduce other
>>  complexities), but it doesn't solve the declarative case.
>
> You mean the declarative solution isn't just to put your elements in
> the DOM in the order you want them displayed? :)

Not necessarily.  I've often run into the situation where I had 2 (or
more) different organizational considerations, but was forced to use
just one, as imposed by the document structure.  A simple example is
collecting all the labels in one group for displaying above the
corresponding shapes, when in fact they should be organized each with
their related shape.

> I guess you're talking about declarative animation which I'll be
> honest I haven't really thought about...

Yes, animation does add scenarios, but the uses are not exclusive to
animation.

> But it still seems like we should 'fix' the UA behavior on
> insertBefore(elementAlreadyInDOM, ...)

Yes, the behavior in the DOM specs should be clarified.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs