Re: [Rendering Order] Some early feedback

On 10/26/09 11:47 AM, Jeff Schiller wrote:
> why does the image need to be reloaded when an
> insertBefore() has been done?

It doesn't (and generally isn't, last I checked).

Removing an <iframe> from the DOM currently unloads the document inside
the iframe in Gecko for technical, not spec, reasons.  Fixing that
(which is desirable, but low priority) seems like a better idea than
introducing yet another DOM method.

Similarly for plug-ins: a plug-in instance gets destroyed on removal.
This we're not sure about being a bug; sites might depend on this
behavior.  Hard to say.

I can't speak to behavior in other UAs.

>  We were originally thinking about a new method for
> moving elements within a DOM but I wasn't even sure this was required
> since I was not familiar with the requirements on UAs to reload
> content when insertBefore() had been called.

There are no such requirements in the DOM specs.

In fact, there are no requirements that anything at all be loaded, in
the DOM specs.

-Boris