Re: [Rendering Order] Some early feedback

On 2009-10-26 4:21 AM, Ruud Steltenpool wrote:
> -having z-indexes breaks the clean readability of SVG content

Yes, it means that you have to be aware of reordering, but it also solves real
problems. I think it's more of an escape hatch than a tool that will be used
extensively throughout documents and make them completely unreadable. Besides,
an author can choose whether the "unreadability" is an acceptable cost in order
to solve their problem.

> -it also introduces the problems we had when we still had line numbers
> in programming languages instead of in (their) editors:  when you want
> to insert something in between 1 and 2, you need to either:
>     =renumber at least one, maybe thousands
>     =use fractional numbers (where rounding errors can introduce
> surprises, next to even worse (less quick) readability)

Having to leave calculated gaps between indexes or else completely re-index when
you need to insert a new z-indexed element between existing z-indexed elements
isn't great I agree, but it's a lot more easily scripted around than manual
renumbering of line numbers. To eliminate the problem completely I think someone
would need to come up with some sort of solution that would look quite different
to 'render-order'/'z-index'. I haven't come up with anything that isn't
completely lame and doesn't have worse issues.

Jonathan