Re: Content model for SVG <title>

Hi, Anne-

Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 3/24/09 8:29 AM):
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 01:49:18 +0100, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
> wrote:
>> It was also brought up in http://www.w3.org/mid/49C7E5A1.1090103@w3.org
>> that it would be nice to be able to use a <switch> as a child of
>> <title>, to select title text based on the user’s language.
>
> For HTML client side language negotiation has never really been in scope
> and is something the server should take care of. Should we revisit that
> or is it ok for SVG and HTML to have divergent approaches here?

An SVG document is typically much less text-heavy than an HTML document
(normally labels and short text passages), so providing language
alternatives in the same document is more practical... there's just less
to contain in the same file than for a typical HTML doc.  It is useful
to do in the document, though, because it means you don't have to create
multiple versions of the same document and configure the server to serve
up the most appropriate one, which is simpler for content creation and
distribution.

I do think it would be interesting to revisit this in HTML, though I
suspect it may be too early.  Since SVG and HTML differ here, we can see
how people use these capabilities, and if they ask for <switch> in HTML,
and determine the best way to satisfy that.

That said, I'd be happy if the HTML WG did look into this, assuming
there's the will among implementers.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs