Re: View Source

David Woolley wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> However, a more useful solution to cleaning up the source would be to
>> simply close the <a> element at the end of the first paragraph and not
>> clone it for subsequent content.
>
> That would change the meaning of an HTML5 document, whereas with more
> conventional documents it would change it from implementation defined to
> well defined.

Yes, it would be different from how browsers have to interpret it.  But
from the perspective of a web developer, the vast majority of cases
where an end tag is omitted as in the example I gave, the omission is
accidental and having a tool or browser feature designed to help web
developers clean up their own markup would be much more useful if it
behaved as I described, rather than naively serialising the DOM created
by the HTML5 parsing algorithm.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/