Re: View Source

On 3/17/09, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
> Doug Schepers wrote:
>
> > There are UI features everyone today counts on, merely on convention...
> the status bar, tooltips, alerts, scrollbars, etc.  If we are trying to
> create a rich and compelling development platform, I see no harm in
> specifying such conventions, even if only as a SHOULD.
> >

>  The specification only needs to specify what is needed for
> interoperability.  A view clean source feature is not required for
> interoperability and has no business being mandated by HTML5, even as a
> SHOULD requirement.

To clarify at least what I am talking about:  I'm not talking about
'correcting' the source or trying to guess what the developer
intended.  I'm talking about showing the serialization of the DOM as
the browser interprets it.  I would argue that this IS required for
interoperability in the case of HTMLized SVG in text/html:
Interoperability with tools like Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape that
expect XML.

At the very least, it appears that the HTML editor agrees with the
idea of placing encouragement in the spec for such a thing [1].

Regards,
Jeff

[1] http://blog.codedread.com/archives/2008/04/16/svg-news-digest-2008-04-16/#comment-12518