Re: View Source

On Mar 17, 2009, at 05:59, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Karl Dubost wrote (on 3/16/09 11:32 PM):
>>
>> The real issue is how to make it "canonical". There are many
>> options and
>> we do not have yet decided of the right options.
>>
>> Things like
>> <center>foo</center>
>> Does it become
>> or foo
>> or <span class="canon001">foo</span> (with external stylesheet)
>
> I would vote for it becoming
> <center>foo</center>
>
> Who knows what's hanging on that element... maybe some CSS scope
> selector?

I agree it should stay as <center>foo</center>.

> There's things like adding quote marks, closing tags, and clearing
> up validity errors...

But <center>foo</center> is a validity error. I think it follows that
adding quote marks and closing tags should be in but clearing up
validity errors shouldn't. In general, I think the clean-up should
reserialize the DOM output of the HTML5 parser but shouldn't mutate
the DOM before reserializing.

I think a toggle between real source and reserialized source on the
think making line numbering match between the real source and the
reserialized source would be complicated. I'd prefer to compute the
offset in <script> and <style> line numbers instead so that tools like
Firebug could adjust their JS and CSS line number offsets with the
reserialized source toggle if they so chose. Then the reserializer
could take line numbering-changing liberties in its pretty-printing.

P.S. The pretty-printing probably shouldn't add text nodes, since
those could break scripts, so it should look like this:
        >foo</div

which is something authors aren't used to and isn't quite 'pretty'. :-(

A more traditional pretty-printing approach risks breaking scripts.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi