Re: View Source

Hi, Justin-

Justin James wrote (on 3/17/09 12:34 AM):

>> Rick wrote (on 3/16/09 9:31 PM):
>>>
>>> I totally agree with the sentiment that the spec should not
>>> dictate UI requirements.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> I don't agree with it, as a developer, because I want to have
>> certain constants in my application development environment that go
>> beyond rendering the document.  This is a big advantage that
>> environments like Air and Silverlight have.
>
> The HTML spec is NOT a "web browser" spec.

Sure it is.  Web browsers are one class of UAs that the HTML5 spec is
targeting.

> browsers are free to innovate and invent above and beyond
>  how they handle HTML

Of course.  Specifying a minimal feature set does not set an upper bound
on other features, or on innovation.

> How do we know that the "web browser" will have
> access to a right mouse button? Or even have an input device with an
> analogue to a mouse? What if we discuss screen resolutions, and in 5
> years, 24" screens are considered "small"? Etc. etc. etc. What about
> mobile devices, which have amazing variety in input methods?

All of these things have specs.  If some of the assumptions change, then
new specs are written.  This is how we adapt interoperably.

We live in exciting times!

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs