solidColor (was: Propositions for the next SVG spec)

Hi, Jeff-

Jeff Schiller wrote (on 3/16/09 9:15 AM):
> On 3/16/09, Stéphane Daviet<stephane.daviet@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>  First, SVG is XML, so it would be great to be able to get some CSS like
>>  mechanisms to simply change the appearance (colors for instance) of a file.
>>
>>  I would also be great to be able to declare some colors externaly and reuse
>>  them as constants.
>
> Paint Servers: http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/painting.html#PaintServers
>
> file1.svg:
> <svg ...>
>    <defs>
>      <solidColor id="fooColor" solid-color="#4488aa" />
>    </defs>
> </svg>
>
> file2.svg:
> <svg ...>
>    <rect fill="url(file1.svg#fooColor)" ... />
> </svg>

Yes, <solidColor> seems to fit the bill there (if I understand his use
case).

FWIW, since Opera is the only one of the desktop browsers that supports
<solidColor> (yay, Opera!), I often use a hack to achieve a similar
effect, which is to use a one-stop gradient (either linear or radial,
doesn't matter) with the desired color.  It should be pretty trivial for
the other browsers to support <solidColor> down the road.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs