Re: Making it possible to use an <svg> root in text/html

On Mar 5, 2009, at 09:25 , Henri Sivonen wrote:
> I don't have an informed opinion yet on whether enabling <svg> as
> root in text/html is a good idea.

Scratching my head a little, I see no good reason not to allow it. In
fact, I think it would be a very good idea if we can work around some
of the few kinks.

> Forming an informed opinion would require research about existing
> content and further discussion on what slippery slopes there'd be

It would make some amount of broken content that is accepted by some
implementations conformant. Based on my prior investigations into this
(admittedly outdated by now) this wouldn't break anything.

> (such as the slippery slope of making <?xml encoding="..."?> set the
> encoding in text/html which could easily break existing content and
> which would be implementation-wise an annoying addition to the
> already too crazy encoding information situation with text/html).

If the XML declaration doesn't set the encoding for (X)HTML served as
text/html, it certainly shouldn't for SVG. The same processing rules
should apply, based on the media type. That, of course, would be
entirely different in XSVG.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/