Re: Mapping geographic data

You have to know the projection used to get the geo coordinate
(usually WGS84, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGS_84) and then, you
must convert the WGS84 coordinates in your coordinate system.
The convertion could be complex (you can find some converters on the
web), but if you have coordinate in a relatively small region (ex size
of France), a simple interpolation could be accurate enough (take the
min/max of the region and do an interpolation between the min and the
max).

Hope that help

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Johannes
Lichtenberger<Johannes.Lichtenberger@uni-konstanz.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got an idea to represent geographic data with/on a svg worldmap
> (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File_talk:BlankMap-World6.svg).
>
> Furthermore the data is represented in XML with longitude/latitude
> values. Now I wonder how to transform from the longitude/latitude
> coordinate system into the pixel based coordinate system used by SVG.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> regards,
> Johannes

Jean-Claude Moissinac
Signal and Image processing - Multimedia Group
TELECOM ParisTech
FRANCE

E-mail: moissinac@telecom-paristech.fr
Tel: (+33) 1.45.81.80.88