Re: [Params] 3.7.1 Relevant SVG Referencing Elements

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:02:57 +0200, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann
<Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it is noted in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-SVGParam-20090616/#relevant-svg-ref-elements
>
> "The following SVG elements may reference SVG replacement content, and
> must
> pass on parameters from child ‘param’
> elements: ‘animate’, ‘foreignObject’, ‘image’, and ‘use’."

If 'foreignObject' is to pass on 'param' elements, then what if it looks
like this:
<svg>
  <foreignObject>
    <object>
     <param .../>
    </object>
  </foreignObject>
</svg>

The params spec should say what happens in such cases. I'd only expect the
params to be forwarded if the 'foreignObject' had an @xlink:href.

> What about mpath? (maybe not)

mpath doesn't embed content, not sure what the gain would be there.

> feImage?

Probably, since it's like <use> and <image> combined.

> filter? (maybe not because it
> seems to be outdated to reference another filter anyway)

Yeah, filter and linearGradient/radialGradient sort of have the same thing
going with xlink:href. Similar to mpath in that they don't embed the
content.

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group