Re: [1.2T-LC] datatype (5.10.1) (ISSUE-2066)

Hi, Dr. Olaf-

Thanks for your comment.

Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote (on 9/22/08 1:51 PM):

> it is defined in 5.10.1:
>
> **
> datatype = "<string>"
>
> The 'datatype' attribute specifies a datatype for the plain text attribute
> value of another attribute.
>
> Animatable: yes.
> **
>
> My questions about this:
> - the value of which (an)other attribute?
> - how can the author specify this (an)other attribute?
> - if it is not intended, that the author specifies this,
>   who does it, when, where and how?

As with 'typeof' and the rest of these metadata attributes, 'datatype'
is not intended
to affect rendering or execution of the element. It is left
intentionally loose to allow other formats (RDFa, Microformats) to
define what the relationship is, but I agree this could use some
clarification about use.  We will discuss how we can tighten this up
with that other group, to be as clear as possible without being too
restrictive.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs