Re: Question about href of discard (related to test struct-discard-201-t.svg)

Hi Julien,

Julien Reichel wrote:

> In the specification for the Discard element [1], it is said that
> 1) xlink:href = "<XMLRI>" : An IRI reference  to the element to discard
> 2) If the 'xlink:href' attribute is not provided, then the target
> element will be the immediate parent element of the discard element.
>
> What happen if the href is not a valid IRI ?

Good question. This is something not specified and I suspect implementations
will doe something different in this case.

> I suppose that the discard is NOT applied. Is it a correct understanding
> ? This might need to be clarified.

I think this should be clarified.

> Note on the test "struct-discard-201-t.svg"
>
> The second line says: "Starts at 2s, Discards at 4s"
>
> However the code is the following:
> <rect xml:id="rect2" x="50" y="35" height="5" width="0" fill="blue"
> fill-opacity="0.5">
> 	<animate attributeName="width" from="0" to="40" begin="2s"
> dur="2s" fill="remove"/>
> 	<discard xlink:href="../images/url(#rect2)" begin="4s"/>
> </rect>
>
> The <discard> is using an invalid IRI (IMHO). Thus as far as I
> understand it, the discard is not applied.
>
> However, the <animate> ends at 4s and doesn't freeze. So there is no way
> to see graphically if the discard is applied or not. So if the test was
> supposed to test the handling of <discard> with invalid IRI, I don't see
> how this could be identified by the operator.

I agree; that subtest of the test is bogus. I've fixed the subtest by removing
the invalid IRI and changing the "remove" value on fill to "freeze".

Additionally, I've created a new test struct-discard-208-t.svg that will test
this specific issue.

Kind Regards,

Anthony Grasso.