Re: [1.2T-LC] Comments on Last Call WD of SVG T1.2 (ISSUE-2130)

On Nov 2, 2008, at 18:23 , Doug Schepers wrote:
> I've fixed this now.  Both 'id' and 'xml:id' are "<NCName>", and we've
> removed the conditionality of the type (we now say that you shouldn't
> mix-and-match 'xml:id' and 'id').  In any case, Relax NG does not
> modify
> the infoset (by design), so it can't (or shouldn't) be used to impose
> ID-ness on attributes.

Bzzzzzt. Those two aspects are not necessarily linked. RelaxNG can and
does provide identity checking as explained in the "RELAX NG DTD
Compatibility" specification, it simply is not required to do anything
but check that the name is unique (the infoset needn't be augmented as
a result).

It is therefore perfectly fine to rely on RelaxNG to impose ID
constraints. There were rumours of the RelaxNG team getting together
to work on a more powerful framework for assigning identity but that
was years ago so I think we can discount that now.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/