Re: "maybe even in the fact that you use words as all," (sic)

Hi, Jonathan-

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote (on 7/17/08 2:57 AM):
> Re: "maybe even in the fact that you use words as all," (sic)

Or, to quote Bert in full, "maybe even in the fact that you use words as
all, rather than a video".

> but what about if you don't?
> like the relatively large community of people with learning disabilities.
> about 20% of people in the UK are functionally illiterate.

So... why couldn't those people use video clips, as Bert initially
suggested?  Or text-to-speech/speech-to-text interfaces, being developed
by W3C Voice Browser WG?

> you can try out or watch a short video here:
> http://www.openicon.org

That's an interesting project, one made possible by W3C technologies...
so why are you complaining?  It seems to me that we are moving in the
right direction, enabling you to create the sort of applications you
think are needed.

Creating a chat client is an clever adaptation of the paper on
pictographic communication  this link I sent you last year [1], but I
think your particular version could use some deeper consideration of how
to actually allow illiterate parties to communicate, if that's your
goal... currently, you only supplement written speech with that limited
set of icons, most of which seem to be nouns, which just isn't enough to
allow even rudimentary communication.  I suggest that you consider
opening it up to collaboration, like the Open ClipArt Library has done,
to help spread the work.  But frankly, I suspect most people who are
functionally illiterate simply use the phone; any such icon-chat
application, no matter how sophisticated, is going to be a pale
substitute for more direct communication (either spoken or signed).

By the way, one of your common complaints is that there aren't enough
authoring tools aimed at naive users, but the natural-language semantic
pictogram project [1] does address authoring.

> the failure of W3 working groups to engage with this community has
> ensured the have become even more socially disadvantaged and ostracized.

W3C has activities for accessibility (several WAI groups), video, voice
browsers, e-government (including education and community outreach)...
all of these things address your concerns.  So, your claim doesn't seem
to match the facts.

What's needed is not some change in the types or scope of activities W3C
is engaged in, but for more browsers to supported more specifications
better (and interoperably); what W3C can do to effect that change is to
work more closely with browser vendors to make sure their needs are
being met, which is something I think we've been much better at the last
couple of years... and it's showing, by browser vendors committing to
implement open Web specifications from W3C.

[1] http://www.svgopen.org/2007/papers/SVGOpen2007abstract/index.html

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, WebApps, SVG, and CDF