RE: Duration of an SVG file

Hi Michael,

> I agree that it might be convenient to quickly be able to
> identify the point at which SVG content has finished any and
> all animations. But I don't know that everyone would agree
> that if SVG content does not have your proposed dur attribute
> 'then the duration is indefinite'. I know of at least one
> popular mobile SVG UA that logically determines when the last
> time-based event has finished and then considers the content
> to have ended.

Then this ambiguity should be removed from the SVG specification. I
agree with Olaf, that according to the current specification including
an animation in another document using the <animation dur='media'
repeatCount='2' ...> should cause the animation never to repeat.

If on the other hands the duration of an SVG animation is the position
of the last time-based animation, this is also a good solution (more
complex). But in either case this should be clearly specified.
(As a note we actually also determine the duration of an SVG as the last
time based event in case the attribute dur='media', but I considered
that to be a too complex change to the SVG specification to be proposed
at that time )

> I also think that adding a dur attribute to the svg element
> could potentially have complicated implications for UA's. For
> example, what should the UA do when rendering content in
> which specific animations are written to continue beyond the
> dur of the svg element? Should it stop the content at the
> point of a dur clock-value or continue until the last
> animation has finished?

If we consider the attribute dur to be a subset of the SMILE containers
[1], then the answer to your question is that the UA should stop the
animation at the end of the duration (dur) of the SVG files. At least
that would be my understanding. Continuing until the last animation has
finished would make the specification of a dur attribute completely
useless.

How does you UA behave when an SVG with the last time-based event occur
at 15s is included into another document using the an <animation
dur='10s' repeatCount='2' > ?

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-SMIL2-20051213/smil-timing.html#Timing-Tim
eContainerDuration

> I think it's great that you've come up with a solution that
> works for your work and I think proposing modifications to
> the spec is only a good thing. It gives us all a chance to
> debate something.

Actually learning that other UA are facing the same problem of SVG
duration comfort me in my opinion that something should be done for this
subject. If some UA are computing an automatic duration for SVG files
and other are considering the file to be of infinite duration this will
make it very difficult for user to create content that can be displayed
in the different UA.

Julien