Re: 300x150 px defaults too aggressive

* Jonathan Watt wrote:
>> Is there some up to date description that defines the various intrinsic
>> properties of the SVG document? For example, per section 6.17 of SVG 1.1
>> I would arrive at a different conclusion than you do above,
>
>http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/coords.html#IntrinsicSizing

My understanding is that that text is not up to date. For example, in
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2007Jan/0032.html> (which
is a public version of the message I pointed out earlier) we learn:

  Also, in the course of our discussion with Fantasai, we discovered
  that the SVG specs were not sufficiently clear that percentage
  values in the SVG root width and height attributes do not specify
  an intrinsic width and height. We have resolved to add text to that
  effect, and hope that this clarifies matters for all involved.

Contrary to that, you assume that the intrinsic width in your example
is 100%. This probably does not affect your specific example, but has
major implications for other content. Not knowing the current inter-
pretation, we cannot fully evaluate the impact of changes.

>Although it's SVG that has brought this to my attention, I don't think this is
>necessarily an SVG issue. It's simply an issue of the CSS spec covering the
>cases where replaced elements have only _one_ of intrinsic width or intrinsic
>height, and no intrinsic ratio - a case that doesn't seem to have been considered.

I agree that the proposed change has consequences beyond SVG, but in
order to evaluate the proposal, we should first evaluate the effect
it would have on SVG-based content. As for not considering the case,
author intuition was less a concern than having reasonably simple and
complete rules that the SVG, CDF, and CSS Working Groups can agree to
(which they did, after much discussion).

>The less contrived case would be when the SVG is embedded by reference and the
>CSS is on the embedding element (e.g. HTML <object>).

I would like an example that demonstrates why the issue you raised is
or will be a problem in practise. For example, there may be a case
where a specific effect can only be achieved using code structured
like your example. If your case is just some rare edge case that does
not occur in practise, it might be best to reject the proposal.