Re: 3rd Call: HowTo make a 100% sheet with a hole in it that reveals a link

~:'' ありがとうございました。 wrote:

> my concern is whether a child can use SVG authoring tools, unaided.

That has relatively little to do with SVG and much more to do with the
tool.  How much do you think you could sell the tool for and how many
people would buy it?

> It's my contention that to define and create such an authoring tool, an
> SVG specification has to be designed with this in mind.

I disagree.

> The evidence being that there isn't such a tool after a decade.

The real reason, I believe, is that compared with selling to marketing
departments, the educational market is seen as being unprofitable.  The
main benefit of the educational market is in getting the brand into the
minds of the students and making knowledge of the product a skill the
employer does not need to teach.  Also amateur tool producers tend to
want to produce an all singing all dancing tool.

I think you also have requirements that are at inconsistent levels.  If
you think that they are not at consistent levels, I suggest that you try
writing a detailed language specification (the language may be
non-verbal) for what you believe is either a complete product for your
market, or is the self contained core of an extensible language.  Then
try and attract people to implement it.

I imagine that they will either implement as a distinct language from
SVG and provide an export to SVG function (which is what most of the
more commercial authoring tools do, anyway), or they will embed a
linearisation of the language in the SVG and regenerate the SVG part
whenever the document is edited using the tool.

Going back in the thread, it is important to understand the limits of
the W3C powers.  It only has control over certain standards, and unlike
a government, it cannot make businesses do what they don't want to do
(although governments may choose to make W3C standards acceptable ways
of complying with legislation).

--
David Woolley