Re: SVG Status Questions

On Thursday, September 6, 2007, 1:23:56 PM, Jeff wrote:

JS> Can anyone address these questions?

JS> Thanks,
JS> Jeff

JS> On 6/25/07, Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,

>> I'm sure some of you have seen
>> http://www.codedread.com/svg-support.php,

Yes, its great.

Could the SVG WG get hold of the spreadsheet used to construct the image? We would like to compare your test results with ours.

>> these two questions are in relation to Test Suites:

>> 1) With the recent confirmed news that Opera 9.5 will support some
>> SVGT 1.2 features, I would like to get ready to start testing SVG
>> Mobile 1.2.

I agree its good news. Opera joins existing SVGT 1.2 implementations from Bitflash, Ikivo, Intesis and Abbra.

>  Is there an official SVG 1.2 test suite sanctioned by the
>> W3C?  If not, when will the first release be available?  I'm not clear
>> on the W3C Policy on this.

There is one, it has not been released to the public but it expected to be released *very* soon.

>> 2) What is the status of the SVGx 1.1 Test Suites?  I understand
>> updates have been underway but not available to the public.  It would
>> be nice to get something publicly available, especially if a variety
>> of new tests have been added.

New tests have been added and bugs fixed in older tests. There will be a release (but we were working on the 1.2T stuff first in the run up to the f2f meeting in Japan, and SVG Open).

>> The remaining question are spec status related:

>> 3) What is the status of SVG 1.1 Errata document?

Its periodically updated once new errata are agreed by the WG. We expect to publish a new set of errata after SVG Open.

There will be a second edition of SVG 1.1 in due course, rolling in the errata to that date and starting a new, blank, 1.1SE errata document.

>> 4) What is the status of SVG 1.2 (Full)?  With introduction of SVG
>> Filters doc, I'm not clear what the contents of this document will be.

SVG 1.2 Full has been modularised; different parts of that spec were being updated and solidified at different rates.

SVG Tiny 1.2 is the core of the language, and works the same on mobile and desktop. Other modules extend this. Filters and Print are two such. Expect to see more modules.

There may later on be a very brief spec that pulls together the core (1.2 Tiny) and a set of 1.2 modules, and gives that collection a name. That would happen when those modules are stable and well implemented and there is value in giving a name to the set.

>> Thanks,
>> Jeff

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group