Re: Can i specify a rectangle within an image tag in a svg file

Jonathan,
I think that's jumping to conclusions a bit too quickly. I just explained
what the spec says (on svg-developers@yahoogroups.com). I represent Opera
(the company) and I should certainly hope that Opera (the company) doesn't
interpret the spec in a very different way than I do :)

Opera 9.5 beta (the product) handles this case in a way it shouldn't, as
it doesn't yet follow the rules in section C.2 [1] which states that such
elements should be ignored. This has now been logged as bug 297855, if you
are interested to follow up on it.

Meanwhile, Opera 9.2x seems to handle this just fine.

If you wish to provide more testcases for invalid svg content (according
to the 1.2T schema) to test how implementations handle such content I
should think that you'd be most welcome to do so.

As far as the original question goes (I did miss addressing that part of
it), if you wish to draw svg content such as images and rects in a
viewport why not use the <animation> element instead of the <image>
element?

Cheers
/Erik

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/implnote.html#UnsupportedProps