Re: SVG Performance?

Hi, Kvark-

Kvark wrote:
> Hello, im new to svg!

Welcome.  Just so you know, this list is more for comments about the
specification and language itself.  Development questions like this are
better sent to svg-developers@yahoogroups.com .

> I've taken a 300x300 size map and trying to visualize it in svg, im having
> some success, but the performance is really bad,

Performance will generally vary with different user agents (Firefox,
Opera, Safari, ASV, etc.), so it's often useful to state which browser
you're having trouble with.

> could somone tell me if im
> doing something wrong, or is svg not suited for this purpose?

This map is made up of around 10K path elements, which is a pretty large
sample.  I converted the paths to line elements and removed the
extraneous "stroke-width" attribute (which was present on every path).
[1]  It performs moderately well in Opera and ASV, but is still very
slow in Firefox.

I would suggest that you take another approach that doesn't use so many
elements.  You could describe each zone as its own element, and then
create colored zones to overlay that to show the various catgories.
Without knowing exactly how you plan to use this map, it's hard to
recommend anything specific.  Do you need that number of discrete lines?

Also, I noticed that all of your colors were in uppercase, and SVG is
case-sensitive (so they should all be lowercase).  In addition, you have
some elements with fill values that aren't color keywords ("NO_SWIM",
"WATER_SWIM", "FIREPLAN").

[1] http://svg-whiz.com/svg/temp/slow-map2.svg

Regards-
-Doug