Re: SVG1.1 TestSuite 2006-12-13 animate-elem-65 min

Hello,

Thank you for your thorough review!

I fixed the obvious (easy) bug in subtest 4, which will be published in
the next release.

Regarding the subtests 6 and 7: I understand that it will be useful for
implementors to add your note that the sync-base values will be
different from the visible part of the "active duration" or whatever it
will be finally called. Regarding the clash in the meaning of "active
duration" between the official SMIL definition and the meaning of
"active duration" in the description of our subtests 6 and 7 I don't yet
have a good solution. Do you have a suggested wording to resolve that
problem?

Would "visible part of the active duration" instead of just "active
duration" work in your opinion?

Andreas

Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'd like to report two minor problems in the descriptions of a subtests
>in animate-elem-65.
>

>fourth example, wrong value for the min attribute in the description:
>
>wrong:
>"On the fourth row, the <set> animation has a (0s <= t < 2s) initial active
>duration, an indefinite simple duration (dur is set to indefinite) and a min
>attribute set to '3s'. Because the initial active duration is less than the
>min attribute and because the simple duration is greater than the min value,
>the animation is active for the (min constrained) active duration, i.e., (0s
><= t < 5s)."
>
>correct:
>"On the fourth row, the <set> animation has a (0s <= t < 2s) initial active
>duration, an indefinite simple duration (dur is set to indefinite) and a min
>attribute set to '5s'. Because the initial active duration is less than the
>min attribute and because the simple duration is greater than the min value,
>the animation is active for the (min constrained) active duration, i.e., (0s
><= t < 5s)."
>

>sixth and seventh example, the descriptions may mislead some authors or
>developers:
>
>The active duration is not (0s <= t < 5s). Active duration has a well defined
>meaning in SMIL and the descriptions do not fit to this meaning in this
>special case.
>In SMIL it is noted:
>"
>if the first computed duration is less than the min value, the active duration
>of the element becomes equal to the min value and the behavior of the element
>is as follows :
>
>if the repeating duration (or the simple duration if the element doesn't
>repeat) of the element is greater than min then the element is played
>normally for the (min constrained) active duration. (see the second and third
>examples below).
>
>otherwise the element is played normally for its repeating duration (or simple
>duration if the element does not repeat) and then is frozen or not shown
>depending on the value of the fill attribute (see the fourth and fifth
>examples below).
>"
>
>In the example the last case has to be applied. This means for this test, the
>visible part (the 'behaviour') is within (0s <= t < 5s), but anyway the
>active duration is 8s, not important for the visible effect in this example,
>but for example if this animation is used as a syncbase-value for another
>animation. The active duration has to be corrected to 8s without any
>influence on the animated attribute itself. If another animation is started
>or stopped with the end of this active duration at 8s and not 5s as a
>syncbase-value, the effect will become visible.
>

>Happy testing...

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/