Re: XHtml text with SVG shape

Hi, Tangui-

I'm afraid that that syntax --indeed, that functionality-- has
dramatically changed.  You are referencing an obsolete draft of the SVG
1.2 spec.  Although most of this functionality exists in Batik (and to
some degree in the now-dead ASV6pr1 viewer), it no longer conforms to
the SVG spec.

Due to a few public objections (with which I strongly disagree), SVG has
opted for a less "controversial" (and less useful) subset of this
functionality.  Going forward, you should consider using the 'textArea'
element [1].  In SVG Tiny, this only allows for text in a rectangle, but
hopefully, arbitrary shapes will also be included in SVG 1.2 Full.

<rant>'textArea' is poorly conceived and poorly named, because when
mixed with HTML (which also has a 'textarea' element) in a CDF context,
authors are going to be miserably confused and/or prone to typos.  Were
it not too late, I would ask for this to (at the very least) be renamed
to 'textShape', and to derive its shape and dimensions by reference to
another element (in a manner similar to the 'use' element), rather than
have its own intrinsic dimensions.</rant>

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/text.html#TextInAnArea

LE PENSE Tangui wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > I've been reading SVG1.2 spec and I'm still looking for a way to
embed a semantic XHtml paragraph (<p/>) in a SVG shape, as shown at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/flow.html

 > How should I do ?
 >
 > Thank you !
 >
 > Tangui