Re: [SVGMobile12] requiring progressive rendering

Hello www-svg,

 T Rowley <tor@cs.brown.edu>   wrote:

> Section 5.9.2 states "SVG User Agents *must* implement progressive
> rendering..." 'Must' doesn't seem right, as there types of SVG User
> Agents that only need one-shot rendering, and the definition of
> progressive rendering is lax enough that one could implement a
> "progressive" rendering implementation that only renders when the
> entire document is ready.

While sympathetic to this point of view, we have found that implementor
feedback tells us the definitions of progressive rendering do have
value, for example in precluding an update when an element is in the
unresolved state.

We do have some tests for this functionality, so there are testable
aspects. We can't really specify a time within which an update may be
generated, but we can for example make tests that server part of an svg
file, leave a given element in an unresolved state for some longtime
(minutes) and require that the update not show the unresolved element.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG