Re: SVGT 1.2: no way to tell through uDOM if an attribute is present

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>On Jan 4, 2006, at 1:09 AM, Cyril Concolato wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maciej Stachowiak a écrit :
>>> Since getAttributeNS returns empty string for both an absent
>>> attribute and an attribute that is present but with an empty
>>> value,  there is no way to determine through the uDOM whether an
>>> attribute is  absent. This seems like a significant hole in the
>>> API and the  implementation load from adding hasAttributeNS seems
>>> small.
>> I understand the concern about compatibility between uDOM and DOM
>> on getAttributeNS, but I don't think testing if an attribute is
>> absent is relevant in SVG T1.2. In SVG T 1.2, the intent is that
>> unspecified attributes default to a value, so whether it's absent
>> or specified with the default value is the same. Could you explain
>> why you would test if an attribute is absent?
>
>For foreign attributes it would make a difference. You may also wish
>to know so you can do your own serialization of an element. I can't
>say it is the most useful thing in the world, but it is not useless
>either, and I think adding it would not be a large burden on
>implementors.

We will consider adding this feature in a future version on SVG Tiny,
and in the SVG Full specification.  It is not a useless feature, but
it is one that can be put off until later.

Thank you for your thorough review.  Please let us know shortly if this
does not address your concerns.

Andrew.