Re: Behaviour of SVGTransformable and it's objects

On Friday, March 10, 2006, 10:12:54 AM, David wrote:

DV> Jonathan Watt wrote:

>>   http://jwatt.org/svg/tests/transform-dom.svg

DV> I think you have a bug in your test-case, it reads items from baseVal
DV> both times, and not from baseVal_2 in the second case as probably was
DV> the intention.

DV> Here at Opera, there have been discussion around this topic also, and
DV> recent opera builds does not have the semantics you describe. Currently
DV> we throw away all objects relating to a certain object meaning that all
DV> equality between objects in your test-case would be false.

DV> Any formal clarification on this matter would be appreciated.

We will discuss it in the Working Group, and i have already contacted jwatt with a view to including his test, or one derived from it, in the test suite.

Can you explain your rationale for throwing away objects rather than reusing them? Is it more efficient to have the objects be immutable, for instance, and does that mitigate the efficiency lost by object creation and disposal?

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG