RE: [SVGMobile12] Timer interface is inappropriate for a graphics specification

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
> |
> | Please remove the Timer API from the Scalable Vector Graphics
> | specification. It has no relation to graphics whatsoever. The
> | W3C has far more appropriate venues to define timing APIs.
>
> You may be unaware of my SmilScript library, which allows authors to use
> some declarative animation in Firefox.  It makes use of the "timeout"
> method, but it would have been much easier and more efficient to have
> used a better timer mechanism such as this one.

There are plenty of limitations in the JavaScript programming environment,
for example packaging is very limited. This does not entitle the Scalable
Vector Graphis working group, or any group in the Graphics domain, to
start adding non-graphics-specific APIs to the language or its
environment. The JavaScript development environment is bigger than SVG.
The W3C has multiple separate groups specifically so that groups can focus
on their own areas without overlapping with other areas.

> In order to create dynamic graphics, especially cross-browser
> animations, we need scripting methods that pertain specifically to the
> medium that is being delivered.  The Timer API is entirely within the
> use case and purview of such a graphics language.

I disagree. Assuming that the SVG WG continues to believe itself an
appropiate authority for defining generic graphics-independent APIs,
please mark this issue as unresolved in your disposition of comments, with
the following statement:

   Argument: The commentor does not believe that the SVG group, or any
   group within the Graphics domain, is an appropriate authority for
   defining generic programming environment APIs.