-------
From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 12:34:05 +1000
To: www-svg@w3.org

Hi.

As pointed out by Maciej[1], there's a potential problem with resource
documents and SVGGlobal.  Consider this primary document (primary.svg):

  <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
       xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.2">
    <use xlink:href="resource.svg#g"/>
  </svg>

and this resource document (resource.svg):

  <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
       xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.2">
    <g id="t"/>
    <script type="application/ecmascript">
      gotoLocation("somewhere.svg");
    </script>
  </svg>

Some questions:

  * Does the resource document have a global object that implements
    SVGGlobal?

OA: Yes, each document has its own context.

  * If so, will the gotoLocation method cause primary.svg or
    resource.svg or to be replaced by somewhere.svg?  (I think it's
    unclear from the sentence "Request that the user agent traverse a
    link to the given IRI." exactly what is required.)

OA: primary.svg is replaced. We have clarified this in the gotoLocation
description by adding "The result of the traversal must be identical to
the traversal caused by an 'a' hyperlink with the 'target' attribute set
to '_replace'. The difference is that the 'a' hyperlink is activated on
user interaction but gotoLocation is activated from script." We have
also added your example to the spec.

  * If the former, should the resource document be allowed to change
    what document is being presented by the UA?  If the latter, does
    that make sense at all?

OA: Yes, the resource document can change the presentation.

  * Will the spec be changed to defer this sort of window-related
    functionality to webapi's Window spec?

OA: No, for SVGT1.2 the spec will not change since the WebAPI window
spec is insufficiently mature, we are about to move into CR and we
already have multiple implementations of this feature.

Somewhat unrelated:

  * Why does SVGGlobal extend EventListenerInitializer2?  I thought that
    EventListenerInitializer2 is meant to be implemented by script
    writers.

OA: This has been changed. SVGGlobal doesn't extend ELI2 any more,
please see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2006Jun/0077 for
the details.