From: www-svg-request@w3.org [mailto:www-svg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Erik Dahlström
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 4:47 AM
To: www-svg@w3.org
Subject: [SVG1.1] Textpath question

I'm reading 10.13.3, "Text on a path layout rules" and have a request for
clarification.

The layout rules (first point), last couple of sentences say:
"Before rendering the first glyph, the horizontal component of the
startpoint-on-the-path is adjusted to take into account various horizontal
alignment text properties and attributes, such as a dx attribute value on
a 'tspan' element. (In the picture above, the startpoint-on-the-path is
the leftmost dot on the path.)"

Various alignment properties? Such as? Can we remove that wording please?
A formal definition would be nice, especially since the last paragraph of
the section contains additional information.

Last paragraph of section 10.13.3:
"When the inline-progression-direction is horizontal, then any x
attributes on 'text', 'tspan', 'tref' or 'altGlyph' elements represent new
absolute offsets along the path, thus providing explicit new values for
startpoint-on-the-path. Any y attributes on 'text', 'tspan', 'tref' or
'altGlyph' elements are ignored. When the inline-progression-direction is
vertical, then any y attributes on 'text', 'tspan', 'tref' or 'altGlyph'
elements represent new absolute offsets along the path, thus providing
explicit new values for startpoint-on-the-path. Any x attributes on
'text', 'tspan', 'tref' or 'altGlyph' elements are ignored."

So, my interpretation of this all is that 'x' and 'y' are taken as
startpoint-on-the-path, meaning that the 'startOffset'-attribute is
ignored. Is this correct?
If so, the spec should be updated to state something to that effect.

Regards
/Erik