Re: SVG12: data: default type (and a top-level type for fonts)

On Sunday, January 29, 2006, 8:15:05 PM, Bjoern wrote:

BH> * Chris Lilley wrote:
>>BH>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20050413/ is unclear about
>>BH> proper syntax for the 'data:' URL scheme,

>>While sympathetic to your concern regarding implementations as
>>articulated below, lets take this one step at a time.

I see that you snipped the part of the reply where the proper syntax for
data: URLs was shown to be correctly defined in the spec. Since you
don't comment on it, I can't tell whether you found the description to
be wanting, or thought it was correct.

BH> As you point out, there are tools that produce incorrect content while
BH> the vendors of these tools claim conformance with the SVG specifications
BH> so they are either not telling the truth or misunderstand the SVG specs.

As pointed out in my previous message, the specification is clear here;
please feel free to raise bug reports on the affected tools.

BH> Either way, the best way to resolve this problem is to clarify the SVG
BH> specifications. This will help e.g. concerned authors to raise such
BH> problems with those tool vendors. So not making changes does not address
BH> my concern.

The fact that you didn't comment on the substantive part of my earlier
reply does not help us improve the specification if, in fact, it needs
to be improved.

>>Agreed, although with a caveat - there is no Media Type for fonts,

BH> If there are unresolved technical problems that encourage generating
BH> non-compliant SVG content, I fully agree that the SVG Working Group
BH> should investigate how to remove these problems.

Perhaps you could encourage the various vendors of font technology to
register internet media types for their font formats; as mentioned (and
again, snipped without comment in your reply) Dave Singer was at one
time creating a new top-level type for fonts.

I encourage you to re-read the original reply.
http://www.w3.org/mid/428778024.20051020221531@w3.org

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG