Re: SVGT 1.2: A proposal for how to define SVG whitespace in terms of CSS whitespace

On Jan 31, 2006, at 18:26, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I refer specifically to deprecating its use for a presentational
> effect.

I think you will find very little disagreement in the SVG WG that
xml:space needs to be deprecated, and that reusing white space
properties would be the way forward. The problem is timing. First,
this is a change request that is not addressing a bug on a
specification that is in its later stages, and second I don't believe
we have a sufficient number of existing white space properties to
lift from an existing specification that is at a sufficiently
advanced level of maturity that we can be allowed to reference it
(you can't reference a Working Draft like CSS 3 Text Effects from a
Recommendation, otherwise all hell might break loose).

So 1.3 will very likely deprecate xml:space, but it does not seem
possible to address in 1.2.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist