Re: Assumption in the SVG specifications

On Thursday, August 31, 2006, 12:58:32 PM, Dave wrote:

DS> It seems that the SVG specifications assume that SVG is the only
DS> vector format in existence.  Quoting one of the specs on the site:

DS> "In SVG Tiny 1.2, the 'image' must reference content that is a raster
DS> image format, such as PNG and JPG. SVG Tiny 1.2 does not allow an SVG
DS> document to be referenced by the 'image' element; instead, authors
DS> should use the 'animation' element for referencing SVG Documents."

DS> and

DS> "The 'animation' elements specifies an SVG document providing
DS> synchronized animated vector graphics. "

Thats an error. Indeed it was already discussed, and we agreed that the animation element is for general animated vector graphics (although a conformant viewer is only required to render the contents if they point to SVG).

It seems that wording did not get updated; we will fix this error.

DS> Could someone clarify if the intent of this specification was to
DS> exclude the use of all other possible static vector formats?

No, that was not the intent. The conformance requirement and the intent of the element were conflated in the text you cite; these will be clearly separated.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG