Re: Question about getPointAtLength

Hello Alex,

Please apologize our late reply on this question.

We discussed this issue recently and propose to return
path.getPointAtLength(0) for negative values and
path.getPointAtLength(path.getTotalLength()) for values that are bigger
than the total path length. It is proposed that "out of range" values
don't result in error reporting. One of the reasoning is that sometimes
there might be accuracy issues with path length calculations from
potentially different sources or algorithms.

We will provide an errata for SVG 1.1 Full and include it in SVG 1.2 Full.

Does that sound reasonable from an implementers point of view?

Andreas

Alex Menzies wrote:

> Hi,
>         I would like inquire about the desired behavior of the
> getPointAtLength method when called with a distance parameter that is
> out of range.  My question is the same as the one asked in the
> following email by Kevin Lindsey:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2003Aug/0005
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2003Aug/0005>
>
> Could you please provide some clarification on this matter and either
> post the information in an errata to the 1.1 specification or include
> it in the 1.2 version.
>
> Thanks!
> -Alex

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/