Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: Why are UAs allowed to have varying definitions of "px"?

Hello www-svg,

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>> > I was not debating whether it was appropriate or not. My request was
>> > to have the specification list these points explicitly if there were
>> > any, or to have the requirement strengthened if there were not.
>>
>> Having the requirement strengthened from should to must does sound as if
>> you are debating it.
>
> You misunderstand my request.
>
> I am asking for EITHER:
>
>  A: make the requirement a MUST

Which we cannot do, as already explained. Some devices, notable smaller
handheld devices with limited OS and also lcd projectors lacking laser
rangefinders, are unable to return the appropriate values needed to perform the
computation of display density.

> OR:
>
>  B: list the reasons the working group is aware of that might be
>     considered reasonable grounds for not complying to the SHOULD.
>
> I am not asking for both, I am asking for one of these.

Thanks for the clarification. Jim Ley has already pointed out that a
list beside a should might be seen as exhaustive, so we prefer to have
something that is clearly an example.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead