Re: SVG12: charmod note

Hello www-svg,

Björn Höhrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20050413/conform.html claims
> "Future versions of the SVG specification are likely to require
> support of the W3C Character Model in Conforming SVG Generators." I
> suggest that is unlikely... Please either require that or remove the
> note.

Following other comments, we distinguish between Charmod Fundamentals (a
W3C Rec, and a normative reference) and Charmod Normalization (a W3C
Working Draft, and an informative reference).

Looking at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-charmod-20050215/#sec-Conformance

there is a four point list of how to conform:

Specifications conform to this document if they:

   1. do not violate any conformance criteria preceded by [S],
   2. document the reason for any deviation from criteria where
   the imperative is SHOULD, SHOULD NOT, or RECOMMENDED,
   3. make it a conformance requirement for implementations to
   conform to this document,
   4. make it a conformance requirement for content to conform
   to this document.

After review, we believe that we already conform to point 1 and have
nothing to document for point 2.  We agree that we did not conform to
points 3 and 4 and have corrected this as follows:

For point 3, we added this to Conforming SVG Interpreters (thus also
covering Conforming SVG Viewers)

  applicable 'I' conformance criteria in Character Model for the World
  Wide Web 1.0: Fundamentals [<a
  href="refs.html#ref-CHARMOD">CHARMOD</a>].</p>

For point 4, we added the following to Conforming SVG Document
Fragments:

  <li>Conforms to all applicable 'C' conformance criteria in Character
  Model for the World Wide Web 1.0: Fundamentals [<a
  href="refs.html#ref-CHARMOD">CHARMOD</a>]</li>

this also covers Conforming SVG Generators which are already required to
generate conforming content.

The paragraph from which you quoted an objectionable sentence now reads
as follows:

  href="http://www.w3.org/International/">W3C developments in the area
  of internationalization</a> such as Character Model for the World Wide
  Web 1.0: Normalization [<a
  href="refs.html#ref-CHARMOD-norm">CHARMOD-norm</a>] Future versions of
  the SVG specification may require support of that specification in
  Conforming SVG Generators.</p>

Björn, please let us know shortly if these changes do not resolve your
comment.

Richard, if you spot anything we missed, please let us know.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG