Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: <title> does not define what the title is

On Friday, April 7, 2006, 3:27:02 AM, Ian wrote:

IH> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Chris Lilley wrote:
>> >
>> > The question is exactly what text string is the title. For example, in
>> > these snippets (none of which are "in error"):
>> >
>> >    <svg:title> Hello World </svg:title>
>> >    <svg:title> Hello <svg:defs>World</svg:defs> </svg:title>
>> >    <svg:title> <html:p>Hello World</html:p> </svg:title>
>> >    <svg:title> Hello <html:noscript>World</html:noscript> </svg:title>
>> >
>> > ...what should the UA use as the text? I mean, please give the exact
>> > literal string that a conformant UA would put in the application's
>> > title bar, or in a tooltip, or wherever it puts the title.
>> >
>> > The same applies to <desc> and the description.
>>
>> [...]

IH> It would be helpful if the SVG working group could actually answer the
IH> issues I raise, instead of using the issues as suggestions for topics on
IH> which to write exploratory essays.

It would be helpful if you would read them ....

IH> I am, as it should be obvious, intimately familiar with the concepts you
IH> so kindly detailed in your reply.

I would have hoped so - but then you would not have asked the 'one size
fits all uses', single title oriented, windowing system oriented,
current restrictions on gui chrome text display oriented, question that
you did.

IH> However, this discursion does not in any way answer the question
IH> that I raised.

IH> Please answer the actual questions I raised. Specifically, in this
IH> instance I am looking for four strings, one for each of the examples
IH> given in the text quoted above, along with the prose that has been
IH> placed in the specification to address this.

And as explained in the essay which you dismissed, different use cases
will handle this differently. You asked what text to put in the titlebar
of a window, for a windowing system that is unable to display rich text
in a window titlebar. And you want that one specific case to be tied
down in great detail, therefore precluding other means of displaying
titles with markup and ignoring the case of multiple titles or titles
displayed by other means.

If you want a suggestion for what to do, as an implementor, one was
given.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG