Re: [SVGMobile12] Question on SVG implementation in an XLink-aware processor

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:08:08 +0200, Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
wrote:
>>  <svg:circle><svg:rect/></svg:circle>
>>
>> ... in the appropriate context with some attributes set is not
>> conforming either. Yet, as an implementor, I want to know what to do.
>
> Good thing the spec tells you what to do then!

Yeah, I thought that was addressed, good :-)

>> I think the best solution would be if the SVG specification states that
>> attributes in the XLink namespace MUST be ignored when applied on
>> elements in the SVG namespace unless explicitly stated otherwise. And
>> also that when an attribute in the XLink namespace is allowed but it
>> has a value that is not allowed by the SVG specification the entire
>> attribute declaration MUST be ignored.
>
> I don't think you mean "attribute declaration" since SVG does not make
> statements about how the formal part of the document type definition
> should be processed, could you be meaning something like
>
> """
> For unknown attributes in the XLink or XML Events namespaces, or known
> attributes in the XLink or XML Events namespaces with unsupported
> values, the user agent must process the element with regards to,
> respectively, linking or event handling, as if the attributes had not
> been specified.
> """

The problem with this text as opposed to mine is that I think the SVG
specification doesn't address each "known" XLink attribute for each
element. So what I'm saying is that you ignore attributes in the XLink
namespace unless the SVG specification says you have to handle them. And
in that case, you handle them as the SVG specification prescribes. So
xlink:show="embed" is simply ignored in some cases, when applied to
<svg:a> for example. Using this "algorithm" all you need is xlink:title
and xlink:href I think which hopefully get deprecated at some point in
favor of attributes not in a namespace.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>