Re: SVG 1.2 event aliases

Cameron,
A bit of background: the idea of defining a "focusin" event as an alias to
"DOMFocusIn" was based on the (probably misplaced) idea that the DOM guys
had made a regrettable naming decision with DOMFocusIn and DOMFocusOut
where they forced two unlucky events to have the three letters "DOM" in the
front whereas all of the other UI events do not have to suffer this burden.
Since SVG's animation syntax already used the string "focusin", the world
would consider a service if all names were treated uniformly across SMIL
and eventing and if all UI events could be specified without ever having to
use "DOM" as the first three letters?

But I believe you are correct with this comment. SVG should not add this
event alias and instead should use "DOMFocusIn" as the only DOM event name
while sticking with "focusin" for SMIL for backward compatibility reasons.
(Same for [DOM]focusout and [DOM]activate.)

However, that's just my personal opinion. The SVG WG will need to review
your comment and return a formal response.

Jon