RE: [SVGMobile12] Very unclear processing model for version="", baseProfile=""

Hi Ian,

Actually, it is intended to be a normative statement, hence the use of
the RFC2119 terminology.

> > If the user agent does not support the minimal required
> feature set,
> > then the user agent should alert or otherwise provide a
> highly visible
> > notification to the user that it may not be able to render
> the content
> > correctly.
>
> This is the conformance requirement. Why is it a SHOULD,
> rather than a MUST? This seems to conflict with the intent of
> the first sentence you quoted. Also, this sentence does not
> seem to define what the "required feature set" is (is it the
> attribute's value?) nor how the UA vendor is to know if it
> "support[s] the minimal required feature set".

It is a SHOULD because a user agent may not be able to provide such a
notification to the user - e.g., if there is no status bar.

> > Therefore, if the content specifies a later
> version of the
> > SVG language than what the user agent supports, then the user agent
> > should alert or otherwise provide a highly visible
> notification to the
> > user that it may not be able to render the content correctly.
>
> Again, it does not seem clear how a UA is to determine if the
> version specified is a "later version of the SVG language
> than what the user agent supports". (Also, again, why is this
> a SHOULD?)

This sentence has been reworded to address your comment.  It now reads
as:

   "Therefore, if the content specifies a unknown version of the SVG
language ..."

> > 	A Conforming SVG Interpreter must be able to parse and
> process a
> > conforming SVG Tiny 1.1 document fragment [SVGM11].
>
> I do not believe this addresses my concerns. I still cannot
> tell, from the text you quoted, whether an SVG 1.2 UA is to
> claim to support a document that says version="1.1", or
> "1.0", or "1.1.0".

Because a conforming SVG Tiny 1.1 document fragment must have the value
of "1.1" (the string), it is a supported value for an SVG 1.2 UA.  An
SVG 1.2 UA would support the following string values for the version
attribute "1.0", "1.1", and "1.2", and any other value would be treated
as an unsupported value.

Please let us know within 2 weeks if this does not satisfy your last
call comment.

Regards,
Scott, on behalf of the SVG Working Group
--
Scott Hayman
mailto:shayman@rim.com

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile/index.html#svgelement