Re: [SVGMobile12] Comment: Please give specific error-handling behaviour

On Wed, 18 May 2005, David Woolley wrote:

> > Ugh, user-specific error handling behaviour is the path to a tag soup
> > world like we have for HTML.
>
> Effectively, fully specified error behaviour ceases to be error
> behaviour and becomes part of the normal behaviour as far as people
> trying to get the most out of the language (or for text media, trying to
> defeat spam filters) are concerned.

The same applies to the de-facto error handling behaviour you get when you
don't define error handling, except that the vendors have to
reverse-engineer each other to work out how to implement it (exhibit A:
Web browsers and HTML).

At least if we define the error handling the UAs can all refer to a spec
to implement it.

> The only specified error behaviours that won't have this effect tend to
> be unacceptable to browser writers because they shame the content
> authors (e.g. completely suppressing display of the whole document, or
> large unmistakable BROKEN SVG banners).

Which is what SVG 1.1 required, although as far as I can tell nobody
implemented it (certainly Adobe didn't) which resulted in everyone having
to ignore it as well since a lot of the content out there is broken since
none of the authors were told about the problems.