Re: SVG12: printNode and parseXML

"Cameron McCormack" <cam-www-svg@aka.mcc.id.au> wrote in message
news:20050220003303.GA17286@port.mcc.id.au...

> Bjoern Hoehrmann:
>> Please change the draft such that all of this is well-defined.
>
> It's a good point.  If DOM 3 is required, why not utilitise DOM 3 Load
> and Save for this functionality, where the intricacies of parsing and
> serialisation are taken into consideration?  And then write printNode
> and parseXML in terms of DOM 3 LS.

DOM 3 LS contains some very unfriendly things which encourage bad usage in
ecmascript (things like synchronous http requests, async is even only
"optional") it requires PUT support on the server, it has a whole http
specific functionality that really has no place in serialising and parsing
XML - it doesn't have anything like enough  general HTTP functionality to be
the sole HTTP functionality provided for an application, yet it requires
some.  We want simple single interfaces for doing things, we don't want 5
different ways to make an HTTP request, nor do we want it to be limited to
valid XML.

Jim.